Well, it's official... I got my California license in the mail today! It is a little weird though, I must admit. I put it next to my Michigan and Washington ones and was blown away by how unexpectedly my life has turned out since college! Just another testimony to my life being in God's hands and not my own.
We had a nice weekend, or Sunday-Monday, at least. Matt's aunt and uncle manage a summer camp (Camp Keola) in the Sierra National Forest (Kaiser Wilderness area), at Huntington Lake. We drove up Sunday after church, and got there around 3 pm. It's a really nice camp and the lake was very nice. Matt went out on a little sailboat with his cousin, and I went in the kayaks with his aunt. I went in the lake a little and pulled Samson in with me to see how he'd do (even though he HATES water!). As predicted, he freaked out and frantically swam to the shore. But we learned that he could swim at least, lol. I wish we could have spent more time there, it was so beautiful, relaxing, and smelled amazing! Trees and campfire! After dinner we hiked to a lookout with them and you could see the lights all the way to Fresno and up 99 quite a ways! It was an awesome view.
We left after breakfast and headed down the road to go on a hike to Twin Lakes. It was a 6 mile round trip hike, mostly on a very dry and dusty trail (welcome to Cali hiking!). But there were maybe half a dozen meadow areas created from mountain streams trickling down. We reached the twin lakes, had a snack, and turned around. Samson did pretty well on his first hike. He mostly led us well along the trail... except for whenever he saw a critter to try to chase after!
We are back in Merced and enjoying the cooler weather! It's low 90s and even some 80s are coming later this week.
No, to answer your question... we still do not have our stuff. As of Friday our truck was still in Chicago. As of Sunday the company called again and said they keep trying to contact the company they subcontracted and have not received any further information. Today was the last day in the estimate window that they gave us, so they said that we would be able to file for a partial reimbursement because it is late.
On our way to the mountains on Sunday, we listened to a sermon from Ada Bible about choosing joy. Whenever we are faced with a difficult situation, we are going to choose some sort of response no matter what, so why not decide to choose joy? The problem is that this is very much a CHOICE. However, it is also a command that we by joyful in ALL circumstances. Therefore, I am praying and trying very hard to choose joy. It is SO hard not to be frustrated and upset about this situation, and I will admit that it is really no fun at all (sleeping on an air mattress going on a week now, cooking with one pot... meaning lots of pasta, a folding table and chairs as our only furniture, no where to put anything, lots of free time to start unpacking, but nothing to unpack... the list goes on...), but I am still working with all my might to choose joy and have a positive attitude! Please pray for our stuff to arrive soon and for our spirits to remain filled and trusting in our Lord.
On the job front... the principal at Matt's school asked me about teaching part time high school math because they do not have a math teacher and school starts in 2 weeks. However, I decided to say no. It would be an awfully lot of work for only part time, teaching high school, which I don't really want to do, and teaching at a much higher level than I feel capable of. I would also then be committed to the entire year, and have no options to take anything else that could come up later. There is a not quite full time (12-6pm) preschool/after hours preschool care activities director opening at an Anglican school that I applied for. I am currently waiting to hear if I am qualified to do preschool in California. I may have to take some early childhood classes if I want to do preschool. There are also a couple more preschools that I haven't checked out yet. I checked with the public schools for openings or subbing, but they have a hiring freeze right now.
Anyways... I posted a bunch of pics on facebook, if these links will work, then I don't have to repost them on here...
Huntington Lake
Welcome to Merced
The Road Trip
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment