Now, I have this tendency at times to worry or overreact and get overwhelmed by situations like this. I want to control them myself and have it within my power to fix them. I have a very hard time giving up control to God (or others that He is working through) to take the burden off my shoulders. I am happy to say, however, that I tried very hard to let God have control, and with His help and reminders, I haven't really freaked out at all. I won't say that I haven't been impatient or frustrated at all this past week with all the carpooling and such, but only minimally.
We had decided that we would look for a newer used car, but we would still be in a crunch to find one soon... because carpooling and Matt riding his bike some days from Calvin to work isn't going to cut it for too much longer with the weather getting colder and wetter. But then Matt's parents offered to let us borrow their second older mini-van because they don't need it anymore. What a blessing! Now we have time to really keep our eyes out and find a good deal. Especially since it is so hard to find time during the day when neither of us are working to go looking.
Alrighty... back to my dear old '89 Honda Accord and a few highlights during it's life with me...
- My parents bought it in the fall of my senior year of high school (2002... exaclty 6 years), and I have had it ever since then, minus my freshman year of college.
- On it's first trip out of town, Natasha and I drove it to visit Trinity Western College in BC, Canada. On our way home, which was the night before Thanksgiving, it started overheating and all the water we poured into the radiator emptied right back out.... it was shot. My wonderful uncle Doug picked us up from Mt.Vernon, the closest real city, until my Dad could come rescue us... and the car was recued a few days later.
- I packed way too many people and gear into that little car (which has an amazing amount of leg room and trunk space for a compact) too many times my senior year thorugh basketball, softball, and other activities (most involving blaring music with at least the sunroof open... no matter the temp).
- That winter, it was broken into in our church parking lot during youth group. All of my cds and my stereo were stolen. This is when I began burning cds like mad because I had to replace so many and insurance didn't cover very many.
- While I was at Calvin my freshman year, I think Dustin mostly used it.
- August 2004 my dad drove across the country with me for the first time to bring it to Grand Rapids.
- My car had it's first midwest winter... where I REALLY learned how to drive in the snow. how to dig my car out, how to do doughnuts, how much work it is to scrape the snow and ice off... everything important.
- In May 2005 my dad flew out to drive back to Seattle again with me... this time leaving Matt behind in the dust... so sad. But Dad and I did go through the Badlands and Yellowstone National Park on our way this time!
- I also took it on the ferry and drove through the Olympic National Forest to go backpacking.
- August 2005... another drive across the country.... returning to see Matt after a long summer appart :).
- Soon after I got there, Matt, Scott, Grace, and I drove to Sandusky, Ohio to go to the Cedar Point amusement park! However, soon after returning... my car began smoking and ended up needing a new engine! For about a month I had to get rides, borrow Matt's car, ride Grace's bike, and take the bus. So we got a newish used engine put in.
- My Honda was a trooper through the next two winters and another drive back and forth across the country (the way back to GR being with Matt this time!).
- Oh, and a month of Matt visiting and us going all over Seattle, Mt. Rainier National Forest and elsewhere.
- Summer 2007... I graduate and Mom and Dad sign the car over to me as a graduation gift.
- September 2007... oil leak problems costing lots of money.
- March-ish 2008... Matt's car is broken and we almost freak out because the Honda starts steaming.... but we get it checked out and it's only a hose and a quick cheap fix.
- May 2008.... minor oil leak, expensive to fix.... we put up with it.
- July 2008, we seal the sunroof closed because it leaks and pours water on the passenger seat after it rains hard (which it has the tendency to do here!)
- That bring us to now, October 2008.... little lasting Honda's life is finally over :(
1 comment:
sad day, honda. i miss our matchingish cars. mine is still running though... just not with me.
Post a Comment