Sunday, May 11, 2008

Busy Weekend

So, Friday I only worked until 1 pm, which never happens, so it was weird but oh so nice! I forgot what it was like to be home in the middle of the day :-P. It also makes the weekend feel just a little bit longer, which I needed before this busy weekend.

The boys t-ball game was awesome and hilarious! There were like 5 dads standing out in the field with all the 4-5 year olds to keep them in line and to stop the ball from leaving the infield. Everyone on one team got to bat while the other fielded, then they switched spots, and did that whole thing twice. Noah told me he was going to hit a home run. So he hit the ball and stopped on first (everyone runs to first and then the rest of the bases as others hit, no matter if they are safe or not), ran to each of the other bases, then after he got home, I could hear him yelling, "Yah! Homerun!" There was also an instance of base runners getting either backed up or not stopping at first and that resulted in three little boys running right behind each other all the way home. They also all run to the ball no matter how far away from it they are and tackle each other to get it. It was priceless.

Saturday Matt's fam came up for the day starting at about noon. We all went to Lowes and got a bunch of bushes and wood chips and stuff for the front yard and then put that all in. Our yard looks SO MUCH nicer now :). And it sure is nice not being the owner and paying for and doing the brunt of the work ourselves... I don't think I'm ready for all that yet. We went out to TGI Fridays (which he always picks because their Jack Daniels burger is his favorite) for Matt's birthday dinner with his grandparents. Then we came back to our house for dessert :). After they all left Grace came over and we watched The Last King of Scotland, which was pretty good, interesting, but gory. I am trying to get in as much Grace time as I can because she's moving back to Illinois at the end of June :(. I am going to be VERY lonely without her.

Church today was good, we had our last sermon out of James. I've really enjoyed this series. We've talked about choosing joy in troubling times, taming our tongues, and really doing and not just hearing what the Bible tells us. Today Jeff talked about why we fight. He said that when emotions start getting high and we go off on someone or attack them, it's always because there's something that someone wants, but they're not getting that. Whether that be respect, compliments, help, an emotional connection, etc. He said that it's OK to desire those things, but the problem comes when you start to demand them, because then you're going to hurt someone. For example, you can desire for your husband to tell you more of what he's thinking and feeling... but if you demand it by means of an ultimatum like, "if you don't, then i am not going to talk to you," then that is not OK. I guess the main reason I've enjoyed this series is because it's all about relationships and applies a lot to my life and particularly my marriage. There are a lot of really good things that I am working on from those sermons.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there, and especially to new mommy Allyson :). Here are a couple more pics of Evangeline, my favorites so far.

No comments: