Sunday, October 3, 2010

Keep On Keepin On

Nothing too exciting happening around here lately. Last week I had parent teacher conferences. My school does them kinda different, we had half days all week, and then conferences in the afternoons. I ended up having one entire afternoon off from conferences to get some planning done, which was very nice! And half days made for less grading last week too. The conferences themselves also went well. I have some great kids and great parents. I love it when parents know (and admit) when their children aren't perfect and can work with me to help them improve! Very supportive parents certainly makes things much easier on teachers :). My kids also did fabulously in dealing with half days all week. I was a bit worried because they usually don't handle schedule changes very well... every Wednesday they still get thrown off by having chapel.

We have moved on from learning about the California Indians to explorers, and now we're starting on our big fun mission unit! Which also means we're starting on researching for our mission research reports, yikes! It's hard work guiding and teaching kids to take notes, make an outline, write a draft, make improvements... pretty much to go through the writing process, but for the first time ever! We practiced with the writing process to write a narrative a few weeks back, so hopefully they will remember a thing or two still! We have another field trip coming up in a few weeks to Mission San Juan Bautista as well.

We have been having wicked hot weather lately around here. Last week was in the high 90s and low 100s all week, yuck! That's even out of the ordinary for around here when it's almost October! Someone must have clued the weather into October's approach, however, because yesterday started the big cool down to 70s for the coming week :). We even had a few rain showers, errr, sprinkles, this weekend (we haven't seen that around here since the end of April, I don't think, lol... I welcomed those drops with open arms, it was much more fall-like!). I am having an even harder time getting into fall this year with the warm weather, hopefully this week things will get better. I am just itching to be a little chilled and cozy up with something warm to drink (versus living in beaters and boxers and not wanting to keep using the ac in October!). I wouldn't mind at all if it were nice and cool when I visit Seattle at the end of the month :).

We had a nice productive and lazy at the same time weekend this weekend. Friday night we had a football game for Matt's school. Saturday, Matt had to help run a car wash at school while I stayed home and cleaned our disgustingly dirty house. Then we headed to Visalia to help celebrate Matt's G-parents b-days that evening. We got back kinda late and were tired from getting up early Saturday, so we ended up skipping out on church this morning, sleeping in, making cinnamon rolls, and having a wonderfully lazy morning together :). Then we both slowly got schoolwork done throughout the day, intermixed with catching up on tv shows, doing laundry, and making dinner, cookies, and yogurt, phew! i feel much more ready for this week though. And now it's time to snuggle up with a little more tv before bed!

No comments: