Sunday, February 14, 2010

Yosemite, Finally!

Well, after over 6 months of living only an hour and a half away from the entrance to Yosemite, we finally made it there! And it was the most beauitful, sunny, clear, blue skied day, which gave us the most breathtaking views of El Capitan and Half Dome!

This is the longest tunnel carved out of a mountain that I've ever been through! I told Matt that I didn't think you could even hold your breath through it... and he had no clue what I was talking about. It's funny how you can have such different childhood experiences. Apparently, he never learned to hold your breath and put you hands up to the roof when you're in a car going through a tunnel. It took me a minute to even remember why kids do that... to save air and hold up the roof of the car in case the tunnel collapses, of course!

Matt was especially excited to go see the snow... he's been going through withdrawal all winter, poor guy. I haven't missed it a bit, ha!

We had planned to go tubing, but it ended up to be a very small short hill that was pretty much for little kids... so we opted for snow shoeing. We had never been before, and absolutely loved it! We already enjoy hiking very much, and snow shoeing is pretty much hiking in the snow, why wouldn't we love it? Plus, you get some awesome views of the snow covered mountains, snowy meadows, the stark contrast of the lichen covered trees with the pure white snow, and the peaceful, sound deadening quiet that snow provides. It is amazing how easy it is to walk in/on the snow when you have snow shoes on. You hardly sink into even the fresh snow, and you have such good traction.
The slopes
Snow shoeing!
This is the lichen I was talking about... looks like moss, but it's not, and it's even brighter.We hiked up a big hill to see this view :)
40 degrees and sunny never felt so warm!
We were even in t-shirts for part of the time.
This is what happens if you don't have snow shoes on.
When we made it to Badger Pass ski area, Matt said, "Now winter begin." Sorry love, that was it, the "worst" is already over in Merced! Spring already appears to be here! Today was 64 and sunny, in the middle of February! What a contrast! The only downside to spring in February and things starting to bloom, is that blooming = allergies! Back so soon? Well, at least I got a break for 3-4 months, right?

No comments: